Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The "get together"

Our family reunion was a little awkward and uncomfortable. The air was full of tension and it seemed to be more than the expected nervousness.


Everyone arrived late.


Cameron and I walked in and Vanessa, Aimee, and Renee were sitting at the table talking and looking at pictures. Everyone else was in the kitchen busy chatting and laughing.


I walked over and hugged Vanessa and Aimee then sat down at the table with them. Every time I went to speak Vanessa would interrupt me. Not wanting to cause a scene, I let it go and directed my attention else where until I heard Vanessa ask Renee if she knew for sure who Aimee's real father was.


Renee looked my way and I could feel my face start to burn. It embarrassed me.


I think myself and Renee were the only adults there that wasn't drinking. She seemed like a nice person. Her husband was nicer. More out going and friendly. They both seem to think the world of Aimee and spoil her rotten.


We took a lot of pics. I came home and printed off two 8x10's and put them in frames then wrapped them up and gave Vanessa and Aimee each a picture of them together, hugging.


I never got to spend any one on one time with Aimee and she's quiet or shy. She never spoke hardly until someone asked her a question. We've promised to stay in touch through the phone and the computer. Plus I might get to see her again at Christmas.


Vanessa said she had to pass a drug test this past Monday in order to get custody of the baby. She hasn't called to tell me the results but I already know what they are. She was smoking weed while I was there this weekend.


Her and Ace, her boyfriend had to borrow a friends vehicle and money to come see Aimee. While there they got into a big argument about money because she wanted beer and he told her it was either beer or getting back home. She wanted the beer anyway.


My cousin had to let them borrow enough money to make it home with.


He already wasn't a very happy camper because no one told him or asked him if it was OK about the plans to meet up at his house to begin with.


My sister used to be so beautiful and now she looks pale, washed out and sick. I bet she doesn't weigh 80 pounds soak n wet. She's killing herself.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of YOU...you wanted this reunion to happen and you had them there, kept your mouth shut even when you wanted and needed to talk and you were there for your sister. It is a killer when we can not help others or make others see what we see. You are awesome!
love,lisa

Anonymous said...

I hate scenes like that. Makes me feel so sick. I am glad you made it thru it.

Anonymous said...

Such a thing is so hard to watch.  Family reunions are always tense.  I don't know of any that are not.  You were the bigger person.  I don't know many who had the strength to be there and hold their tongue the way you did.  I'm so proud of you.  I wish I could print out pictures.  Can't afford the color ink right now. lol
Thinking of you so often. OK.  I admit.  Daily. lol
NELISHIA
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/WISHINGANDHOPING/
http://journals.aol.com/tsalagiprincess1/JumpingOffTheDeepEnd/

Anonymous said...

Lahoma, that meeting sounded very tense and poor Aimee, all those faces she's missed seeing all her life, must have been very overpowering for her....I bet Cameron, you and her always stay buddies now and well done, for keeping your cool when your sister wouldn't let you speak! I hate that! Linda xx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/lindachapmanuk/metamorphing/