Thursday, May 24, 2007

Does anyone know why Dr. prescribed pain medication makes my nose itch to the point that I would just like to scratch it off my face? LOL Does it do you that way? Maybe I'm allergic to it or something.


Anyway Monday was Cameron's 17th birthday and I found out the same day that I had to be in Morgantown the next day. So, I tried to hurry and get a few things done like packing and making Cameron a pan of fudge cause he didn't want a cake. He came home from school and we had just enough time for him to make a wish and blow out the candle then Robert and I left for our long drive.


We made it to Charleston around 8pm, got a room at the Ramada and ordered some dinner then crashed. Neither of us slept very well. Then we got up at 6am, showered and headed on out for another 3 hours of driving. We made it to my appointment with 2 minutes to spare and Dr. Craig and his team were waiting on me so I was taken straight back.


We didn't get out until after 5 that evening. Which I'm not complaining because they could have kept me. First I was given an IV after three attempts. Then we went back and spent 45 minutes to an hour trying to get a sample of my bone marrow. Which really isn't that bad of an experience until the next day and week after. God, do I ever feel sorry for people who break their hips. I can't imagine how they handle the pain.


After that I was put in a room and given two bags of blood and a bag of platelets. All during the transfusion I was being visited by different people explaining to me what I have to look forward to, the treatment process, the donor process, blah, blah, blah. Once I heard, "You'll be spending 3 months in the hospital" I didn't hear anything else.


Dr Craig says my bone marrow is mutating at an advanced rate and that at the moment I have Myeloid Displasia (sp) but at the rate it's going it will soon be Myeloid Leukemia. If they can get it to go into remission with chemo,then I will have a bone marrow transplant. If it doesn't go into remission, well, you get the picture.


I just don't know what I'm going to do about Cameron. I can't leave him alone for three months. I don't want to leave him alone with Robert and I have no one else. Plus, They say that while I'm out there for three months they'll put me up in an apt beside the hospital and I'll need a 24 hr caregiver. I have no one to do that either.


plus, I'll be charged $15 dollars a day for rent. That's over $400 a month and there's no way I can pay the rent here and out there.


We didn't get home until around midnight Tuesday. The next morning I was on the phone with family telling them about needing a caregiver and needing someone to look after Cameron for me. Guess how many volunteered? ZERO!


Am I surprised? No! I don't know why I keep setting myself up for more disappointment. Looks like after 39 years I'd get it through my head that they just do not care.


Cameron would kill me if he knew I posted these pics of him being silly. :o)


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kind of pain med did he put you on?  You might want to research it's side effects.  Does it just itch or do you have hives as well?  Benadryl (over the counter) might help with the itching - as long as that is the only place that itches.  You might also want to call the Dr. and ask the nurse about it.  They might have to switch it.

Let Robert pay the rent on the house.  Can Cameron move into the apt with you?  What about something like Ronald McDonald house?  His dad?  His dad's mom????  Might want to check with social services on that one.  I honestly hate to even think it but what about temporary foster care?

You need to take care of you, Lahoma.  I know it is hard to accept and there are things you don't want to do, but look at the alternatives.  If something were to happen to you, who would take care of Cameron then?

Love you,
Sheila

Anonymous said...

aw you have so many worries Lahoma...I also was going to ask if Cameron could come with you...would he go? It may be nice the two of you...it sucks no one puts themselves out for you guys...great pics of Cameron lol He sure is a good looking kid (when he's offguard lol typical boy huh!) sounds like an exhausting trip too, hope you can rest up a while...love Linda xx