Saturday, May 12, 2007

The will to live....

So, I guess they're thinking that the stem cell transplant that saved my life ten years ago has caused this new disease. They are also saying that this type of Leukemia usually only happens to the elderly. People 50 and over but more so from 70 on up.


My brother and his girlfriend offered to be donors yesterday. I thanked them and told them I may not even need a donor because I'm not taking this new diagnosis serious until I get to Morgantown and get a second opinion.


I've been reading up on it as much as possible but what I'd really like to do is meet someone that has either gone through it themselves or with a loved one. Those are the folks that can really tell me what to expect. That is unless they are like me and chose to block that entire part of their life from their minds. I remember very little about my first encounter with cancer, that is until I read Kim's journal or someone else's who has cancer and something they are going through triggers one of my blocked memories.


Too bad you can't do that with people. I'd like to block just about every person in my life.


My motto used to be to never give up. I'd tell everyone I knew that had cancer to hang on, and never give up. But, in order for a person to want to live, or even fight to live, they must have a loving, supporting, and caring family. They must have a reason to live! Not everyone has that and without it, there's no will.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

aw Lahoma, you sounds so depressed (understandably I might say!!) I am afraid I do not know anyone who has leaukaemia but I did read your link so I could try and understand it. I did tell you about my cancers and that they were all caught without need of radiation etc and I can remember the terror I felt as my sons were so small. Maybe Cameron and Rick have not let it sink in yet or don't understand it. Anyways we all luv ya! Linda xx
ps. enjoyed out chat yesterday! xx

Anonymous said...

Lahoma...I know what you mean when yousay..you must have a supportive family...and no...unfortunately some of us do not have that...but Lahoma...we here that read your journal..do care...and we will be praying for you.
love ya,
carlene

Anonymous said...

I am praying for you, Lahoma.  I'm so sorry this has happened to you.  At some point, I'm sure you wonder when is it ever going to stop.  Haven't you been through enough as it is?

I'm very happy that you have volunteers for donors and pray they are a match if you need them.  You might search blogs on Google for Myeloid Leukemia (web URL is http://blogsearch.google.com or perhaps groups on Yahoo to find others with it or have had it to talk to.

As for losing the will to live - yes, I can understand that very much.  However, as far as some of us may be from you, we are your friends and, although I can't speak for everyone, I'd love it if you thought of me as family.  I keep saying you're that sister I never had anyhow!  LMAO!

In all seriousness, I'm here for you to help root you on while you go through this.

Love to you,
Sheila

PS  When is the trip to Morgantown?