Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Abuse in school

This article below was in our local paper two days ago. It's about the Middle School in Cameron's school district. I'd like to some how get involved but not sure how I could help. I was thinking of maybe calling this Janice McCoure and letting her know that my son has also been harassed and made fun of because of his race. I'd love to see the B.O.E. get slapped with a fine, public embarrassment, or something.









War Junior High School Abuse
“You send your kids to school for an education but they can’t get their education if they are being harassed all the time,” said McCoure.

Janice McCoure is an aunt of two students at War Junior High School in McDowell County. She says they are being verbally abused by other students.

“Brianna which is the niece has been harassed a lot from people calling her the "N" word and being called a monkey. It’s just a lot of derogatory statements towards black people,” said McCoure.

“Its just on-going and everyday they come home with something which is mostly from the school.

Mother of the children Elsie Mcdaniel says she’s always taught her kids to be turn the other cheek and walk away but she is loosing her patients for the situation.

“I'm not trying to start any trouble for anyone. I just want my children to go there to learn and not have to put up with any of the racial slurs,” said McDaniel.

NBC Six contacted the McDowell County Board of Education about the problem. They said the incidents are being investigated but at this point its more of a he said she said situation. In recent months McDowell County School have been taking a proactive approach to bullying and harassment by introducing a pilot program called Respect and Protect.

“It deals with the student code of conduct. In that code of conduct they know what to do and what they are doing to make good or bad consequences,” said Miano.

Coordinator of the Adult and Student Services at McDowell County Board of Education Bonita Miano says student safety is a number one concern.

“We're trying to do whatever we can to make sure that our students have a safe learning environment,” said Miano.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would call her too..let her know she is not alone in this matter...it's shameful! The more people involved the bigger the noise...and the School Board won't like that! lol

Anonymous said...

Lahoma, I know too well that school bullies can make life miserable for the kids that have to take the abuse daily....I had to go through it as a child, and then My son, who is mentally handicapped, as you know..had to go through it brecause he was different and my daughter who went to a school that was 99% black and also had to go through it because she was white! You just can't win...It is so sad, becasue I raised both my children to not look down on or tease ANYONE because they are different in any way...and I let them know if I ever found out that they did that THERE WOULD BE HELL TO PAY at the homefront WITH THEIR MAMA....and you know what...they never did, and they had and still have a diverse set of friends, some handicapped, some black, some white, some gay, some bi-racial ...but they themselves (my kids)  got picked on by other kids.....I think it all boils down to parenting and the schools not steppin in to make sure it doesn't happen and if it does...then they should nip it in the bud. I say call the lady that is having the same problem....and I would try to find others too...Any kid of bullying needs top stop, so include ALL that have been bullied in any form or fashion. I ams o sorry that Cameron has to go through all that crap too...
Love ya,
carlene

Anonymous said...

I detest bullying of any kind! Poor Cameron too...I would imagine Janice would really appreciate your support, it is numbers that count in this sort of thing...go for it! and good luck! Linda xx

Anonymous said...

VEry sad....yah know, I have been only called that word once. Its such a gut hitting word. I am really lucky to live in Oregon. This stuff just doesnt happen much. If my kids went through that, I really dont know what I would do or become. I think kicking ass would be my first move so maybe its good that I dont know that.   The school needs to suspend those kids for longer than a few days to send a serious message. Kids do NOT recover quickly when that happens and the discipline should reflect that. ~Raven

Anonymous said...

It's been a while since this entry (sorry I'm late on commenting) but I was wondering if you ever called to talk to this woman to tell her about Cam being harassed?  Of course, if you're still interested in helping, the best thing you can do is just call and ask her how you can help :)!  I think you'd be good at it, whatever they need help with.

Love,
Sheila