Saturday, February 3, 2007

Sharing an email

Some things for you to think about.

 

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."  - Martin Luther King Jr.

 

"Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves." - Abraham Lincoln

 

"A fools paradise is a wise man's hell." - Thomas Fuller

 

"You know you are getting old when caution is the only thing you care to exercise." - Chef Algie Petere

 

"Never stand begging for that which you have the power to earn." - Miguel de Cervantes

 

"The human race has one really effective weapon, and that is laughter." - Mark Twain

 

"Every man is a missionary...He may be a blot radiating his dark influence outward to the very circumference of society, or he may be a blessing, spreading benediction over the length and breadth of the world. But a blank he cannot be." - Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland during the 1800s

 

Then there are always those those presume on their own that they are intelligent and have everyone fooled until they open their mouths and offer their opinion:

 

"From my point of view, I would ban religion completely. Organized religion doesn't seem to work. It turns people into really hateful lemmings, and it's not really compassionate." - Sir Elton John, musician

 

57%  The percentage of tweens (8 to 12 year-olds) who say they would rather be popular than do what is morally right. At the same time, 38% of tweens say churches have made a positive difference in their lives. - Source: Barna Group

                               *****************************************

Quick Connection: Familiar with speed-dating? Well, now there's speed-churching. In a campaign to get more people to church, 10 churches of various denominations in Swindon, U.K., about 70 ,miles west of London, created Soul Connexion (soulconnexion.org.uk). At the October event held at a local hotel, people were given five minutes to interact with each church leader before moving on to the next one.

     "This gives them the opportunity to meet a variety of churches in a situation where all know all the rules," expla John Lloyd, spokesman for the Bishop of Swindon Lee Rayfield, the projects creator.

     "With both parties 'selling themselves' to the other, a decision can be made about beginning a relationship," he says.

                                        ***********************************************************

Step families:

* 1,300 step families are formed daily.

* 60% of remarriages end in divorce.

* By 2010, it's predicted there will be more US step families than any other type of family.

* 6.8 million US children are stepchildren; this represents 15% of all children in married-couple families.

Sources: Successful Step families, Step family Foundation

                                *****************************************

I read this in a Christian magazine. The writer explains what happened between the church and science. We must remember that at one time the great majority of scientists were Christians. This little nugget of information explains why science usually opposes the church stance on anything, before they even look into it. - Wayne

 

     "The Catholic Church stood against science. They could not see science and church co-existing. So the sciences rebelled against the church. The church tried and killed many scientists which turned more scientists against the church."  - Author unknown   

                                    ********************************************************************

Should we give to beggars? C. S. Lewis once said: "It will not bother me in the hour of death to reflect that I have been 'had for a sucker' by any number of impostors; but it would be a torment to know that I had refused even one person in need."

 

"Faith is not trying to believe something regardless of the evidence: Faith is daring to do something regardless of the consequences." - Sherwood Eddy

 

Isn't this how we really are with God so many times in our lives when He blesses us?  We pray and He answers, but we are not satisfied with the results we receive. I saw a cartoon that really illustrated this idea:

 

     There is a picture of many people sitting on a hillside. A disciple is walking around with a big basket full of food . He is passing out fish and bread to the hungry all around him. You can see a very comic look of shock and surprise on the disciples face as he hands a fish to one man. The man looks up at the disciple and asks, "Could I have mine broiled in butter?"

 

     Someone we knew had come over to our house to visit and was moaning and groaning about an answer they had received to their prayer. It seems that God hadn't handled the matter exactly as they wanted Him to. We have learned over the years to be specific in prayer if you expect specific results. After they left our home my wife looked at me and said something that I wrote down and like to share with people from time to time:


     "Generic prayers will always reap generic results." - pas

     

     My pastor had given me a button that I still wear now and then. It had a message I will never forget and it goes along similar lines with what my wife said.

"Do not expect million dollar answers from a 10 cent prayer!" - Anon.

 

Praise God! May He bless and keep each and everyone of you in the palm of His mighty and righteous right hand. We are living in tough times but remember that our God is more than able to keep us and able to do more for us and through us than we can ever imagine. He does all that He says He will perform. Get into the Word this week. Read something different that maybe you haven't read for a while and trust God to reveal and open His Word to you in a whole new way.

Wayne

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Lahoma, I loved all the quotes. I read all of it with great interest but am not religious myself...! Linda xx

Anonymous said...

awesome awesome entry. Today at church was in part about denying a begger food..have you seen those commercials where they say "THEY ALMOST GAVE"....that is so sad. If i have it, i give whether i know if they will use it for what they say they will or not. I love your entries AND you.
XO lj

Anonymous said...

I LOVE TO READ QUOTES AND I ESPECIALLY REALLY LOVED AND ENJOYED READING THESE. THEY DONE MY HEART GOOD! THANKS LAHOMA!!
LOVE YOU,
~LISA~

Anonymous said...

WOW was this entry loaded. I had to copy all of this to save.  I even loved your quote on your blog. I sware their is a level of insanity that happens when you fight to convince good reason. It can get tiring. I am so learning that I can not and unable to do that. Say it, and leave it without a linger. Not easy. Cant wait to master that.  I rarely pray for financial needs. I should pray more for my basic needs met but I always feel its a less feeling prayer. I rarely cry when I pray for those things. And let me roll over dead, if I pray to be wealthy. Not to say I have anything against wealthy people but it goes against my own grain. Everyone is different on this which is cool. ~Raven