Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Magazines


I don't know if it's my computer or AOL but this thing is running soooooo slow! I've cleaned, scanned and defragged. Nothing helped.


Robert's Mom is taking a cruise to the Bahamas. Wish I was going with her! I pray she doesn't get food poisoning or falls over board.


When she found out she had lung cancer, she made a list of things she wanted to do and that trip is one of them. She's taking her sister with her. I hope they have the time of their lives.


I read two journals today where the authors have taken ill. Fran had a stroke and Pennie had a brain aneurysm (sp) and is scheduled for surgery tomorrow. If you pray, please think of them.


For as long as I can remember I've always wanted a subscription to the National Geographic Magazine. I FINALLY GOT IT!!! I found a years subscription offered for $15 and I took it.  


I think I've mentioned before that Robert has a serious obsession with cook books and cooking magazines. We have way too many. My dining room and living room book shelves are full of them. And God forbid if I mention getting rid of some.


Anyway, I was looking at one of them today (Gourmet) and found a bit of interesting information.


Did you know that humans instinctively begin to crave salt at the age of four months?


And corn has an extraordinary shelf life. Ten-year-old kernels will germinate, and 1,000 year old popcorn still pops!


In Colonial America, six-foot lobsters were caught near what is now New York City, flocks of birds darkened the sky for hours at a time, and five-foot codfish inhabited the waters of Maine.


Each year 70% of the U.S. supply of antibiotics ends up in animal feed.


On a typical 16th-century English warship, a sailors weekly ration of beer was about eight gallons, or roughly TEN PINTS PER DAY!


And the one that bothered me was, Since 1970, the number of dairy cows in the U.S. has dropped from 12 million to 9 million, while the amount of milk obtained from each cow has increased from 1,130 TO 2,210 PER YEAR!!


Poor cows!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lahoma, my computer is acting crazy as all get out. Like you I have tried everything...to no avail.
Hope it all straightens out soon. I am so worried about Pennie. I do not know Fran but will pray for her also.
Hope you are well.
Love ya,
carlene

Anonymous said...

HEY GIRL! THAT WAS SOME INTERESTING FACTS! I'M SO SORRY TO HEAR THAT ROBERT'S MOM HAS CANCER. I'LL BE PRAYING FOR HER.
LOVE YA,
LISA

Anonymous said...

  Your numbers are screwy on the beer thing. There are eight pints per gallon, so eight gallons would be 64 pints. This amount of beer would be impossible for one person to drink in a 24 hour period. Less than two gallons would be fatal for most people. I suspect even eight pints a day would be rather far fetched, as there would be little room to store anything else with that much beer on board. Figure an officers and crew complement of somewhere between fifteen and thirty on average - let's say twenty. Eight pints per day, per man would be 160 pints per day. On a medium sized voyage - say four weeks, that would require 4480 pints, or sixteen barrels of beer. Where would they put their cargo?
-Paul

Anonymous said...

no shit, poor chaffed udders......i like your little tidbits of trivia. interesting! I hope the MIL has a great time too! So sorry to hear about the J Landers, i know Pennie and like her alot.
I hope your PC starts acting better. LOVE YOU, lisa jo

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

  Of course, I have just reread what you wrote, and it says that the sailor's *weekly* ration was eight gallons, which does, indeed, translate to just under ten pints per day. I read it wrong the first time. So, while I still question the veracity of the claim, at least the math is correct. My mistake.
-Paul

Anonymous said...

I just love trivia, don't you?  Those food facts were interesting!

I hope that Robert's mom has the time of her life too.  I also worry about her getting that Norovirus.  Not sure with that and all of these overboard incidents that I would ever go on a cruise myself, but I hope that for her, it is a grand time!

I do have a suggestion for the magazines - only save the pages with the recipes that Robert wants.  Get a binder and 3-hole punch them and save them.  Magazines seem like they are mostly ads anyhow.  At least this way, you'd be compromising.

Love,
Sheila

Anonymous said...

I think it is AOL because a lot of people are complaining of that now, including me!
I hope Roberts mom has such a good time... I used to love the national geographic magazine, an ex of mine hoarded them, they are such a good read. That sounds a good price! Enjoyed the food facts! Linda xx